Creative fundraising – selling tickets
You can sell tickets through a fundraising page, but unfortunately we can’t reclaim Gift Aid on donations made in return for tickets, as HMRC considers them as benefits in kind.
So when someone makes a donation, we ask them if they’re donating in return for a ticket. If they answer ‘yes’ to ‘are you donating in return for a ticket to an event/raffle/auction?’ we won’t claim the Gift Aid on their donation.
When you’re building a fundraising page to sell tickets, it’s a good idea to add a note in the personal message encouraging people to:
1. answer yes to the ticket question when they donate
2. make sure the fundraising page owner has their contact details so they can be sent their ticket, either by:
- ticking the box to agree to share their details with the charity
- emailing their contact details to the fundraising page owner
- leaving their name and email address in their comment (as long as you’ve already made sure that column is hidden on the public page)
To see an example page with some suggested text you might want to use please go to http://www.justgiving.com/demopage-sellingtickets